Friday, January 16, 2009

Why

Why move from this:





to this?




A lot of reasons. Less commute to work - I currently travel 2hrs one way = 4hrs a day. Moving to Yarraville means less time on the rd which means more time being there for the girls, the house, the dog, and life in general. The commute itself doesnt bother me and I don't mind riding it - even in the rain or crappy weather - but the fact it takes me away from things I could be doing such as eating brekky with teh girl or cooking biscuits for them or helping them with their homework etc.....

It also means that I will spend less $$ on fuel - even on the motorbike the fuel costs add up. And less $$ on bike maintenance...it's serviced every 6000km plus the kms on the bike are adding up which means more major work needs doing. The poor bike has a long list of stuff that needs doing...all due to the number of kms on its odometer which currently sits at approx. 89000km - pretty high for an 07 model.

And it means that I may be able to take on extra work to my current job - which means less reliance on Centrelink and more money for us to spend on things we just can't afford atm or struggle to pay for.

The girls are keen to move although they are nervous. I'm scared for them . I''m scared for them starting a new school with new faces. I'm scared for them being away from what they've grown up with...the sea and the country and everything that has been familiar to them so far in their lives. I can only hope that they find more friends (they'll still keep in contact with their current) and that they settle in at school and that they are happy and safe. Once we're settled in we'll be finding out about self defence courses - something we can all go to and learn how to defend ourselves should we ever need to. Regardless of living in the city or Smiths Beach, I think this is a good skill to have and I've always wanted them to do something like this....moving to the city and me having the extra time means we can do this.

And it means they can do afterschool activities - such as music lessons or whatever it is they want to learn/do. And we can walk Sam together. We like that - esp. Sam.

So many fears. So many worries. But I know that if we stay here then things will continue as they do - with us struggling to pay for the basics and me hardly being here for them.

So there are our reasons for moving to the city. For leaving this beautiful place called Smiths Beach on this rather awesome little Island and our friends.

It's a big move but I think we'll be alright.


4 comments:

  1. Chin up, Rosie. We moved heaps when I was a kid. Kids adapt, they make new friends. When is the Southern Clan Housewarming?

    Cheers
    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. p,s, I added a link to my blog..

    ReplyDelete
  3. and I did that too.

    Welcome to the blogosphere Rosie.

    Wow, three comments and you've been going a day and a half, I've been at it 7 months and got 1. I'll go off and cry now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And it also means you can come along to wesside coffee nights... ;)

    Congratz on the move and congratz on taking your life by the scruff of its neck and showing it who's boss.

    ReplyDelete